How do I find a cosmetic surgeon in Chicago?
There are many ways to find a cosmetic surgeon in Chicago. You can begin with the following tools:
- Talk to friends or family members who have had successful cosmetic surgery.
- Ask your family doctor for his or her recommendation.
- Do your research on the cosmetic surgeon and the procedure(s) you are interested in. Ask the cosmetic surgeon about his or her training, board certification, and experience performing your specific surgery. Your selected physician should be adequately trained and board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
- Research the surgical facility where your procedure will be performed. Ensure that it uses skilled, licensed personnel to administer and monitor your anesthesia and your recovery immediately following the procedure.
- Schedule consultations with your chosen cosmetic surgeon(s). Chicago has many cosmetic surgery practices available, and the best way to select the right doctor is to meet in person. Ask detailed questions about his or her field, the procedure(s), options, and the realistic outcome of the procedure
What credentials should I look for in a cosmetic surgeon?
It is important that you find a cosmetic surgeon who is board certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). “Board certified” does not automatically mean a doctor is certified by ABPS. Any licensed physician may perform surgery without being board certified in the specialty area of plastic and cosmetic surgery.
An American Board of Plastic Surgery certified cosmetic surgeon has graduated from an accredited medical school and has completed at least five years of additional residency training. You can verify the doctor's certification by contacting the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) at 1-888-4-PLASTIC. They will be able to tell you which doctors are legitimate cosmetic surgeons in the Chicago area. You can also visit the ASPS web site at http://www.plasticsurgery.org/. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons is the only board approved by the American Board of Medical Specialties, which certifies physicians in plastic surgery of the face and all areas of the body.
What questions should I ask in consultation with a cosmetic surgeon?
- Ask whether the cosmetic surgeon has hospital privileges at a Chicago or North Shore area hospital. You may verify this information by contacting the hospitals.
- Ask the cosmetic surgeon to view before-and-after images of his or her other patients. It is also beneficial for you to discuss the pros and cons of the procedure in which you are interested. Plastic surgery is a personal decision, and you should not be coerced into procedures that you do not want. Fenner Plastic Surgery will work with you to select the optimal procedure for your intended results.
- Ask the cosmetic surgeon how many procedures like yours he or she has completed. It is important that your physician has performed your intended procedure more than a handful of times. Experience is essential for plastic and cosmetic treatments.
- Ask about the cost of the procedure, when payment is expected, and whether the cosmetic surgeon participates in your medical plan. If payment is not covered by insurance, learn what the cost will be and discuss your financing options.
- Ask if the cosmetic surgeon ever had malpractice insurance denied, suspended or revoked. If the answer is anything but “no,” look elsewhere.
How do I know that Fenner Plastic Surgery is right for me?
It is important to us that you are comfortable with the cosmetic surgeon you choose. Our Chicago-area center features a professionally trained staff with extensive knowledge of surgical and non-surgical procedures. We want to ensure that you have a pleasant experience and realistic expectations as you progress through any of our treatments or procedures. Dr. Geoffrey Fenner's extensive and impressive training in reconstructive and cosmetic surgery ensures that you receive the best care. As a board-certified cosmetic surgeon with the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery, you can be certain that he meets the highest standards.
Can I consult previous patients of Fenner Plastic Surgery?
Yes. We understand that finding a qualified cosmetic surgeon can be difficult. We would be happy to refer you to previous patients of Dr. Fenner’s who have offered to share their cosmetic surgery experiences.